Now unlike some I wont be mourning her... As I suspect many who lived through it in the north east, north yorkshire, the Welsh valleys, scotland etc. Yes some of us who remember:
- the mass unemployment,
- the closure of heavy industry,
- families torn apart as a result of a policy to reward the rich at the expense of the poor,
- the creation of a culture of greed and profit at any cost,
- the poll tax,
- the closure of all but 3 deep mines in england....
- selling back to the people what they already owned as shares....
- a massive rise in the homeless (some who are still on the streets to this day)
- the 'care in the community' idea that dumped many with serious mental illnesses onto our streets...
- hospital waiting lists grew to epic proportions meaning people died before getting treatment
- The use of the army dressed as police during the miners strike that saw many abuses of human rights
- the coverup of hill borough...
I could go on and on....
So the 'boom' that was seen for the rich was paid for by those in most cases north of watford. My town alone went literally over night from 90% employment to 80% unemployment when the local steel works was closed. Not as it wasn't making a profit, it was. But rather as a 'experiment' to see what would happen if you ripped the heart out an industrial town. It died for 20 years is what happened.
In towns like mine, there were no jobs...none.... you went to the job centre back then and every board was empty. So there was no way out for people once they lost a job. People lost their homes, ended up homeless and worse. It wasn't all wine and roses.
Yes some of us remember, so I wont be mourning, I shall be thankful that no matter what happens.... she can never create as much misery again...unless of course she comes back as a zombie. In which case I bag the 1st shot with the shotgun ;)
No I do not want to hear how much she made your life better as that was paid for by many north of the watford gap. I lived through it, I saw first hand what happened to those deemed 'disposable' in working class areas... Nothing you can or will say would ever change that.
feel free to research everything I have posted here.
No comments:
Post a Comment